Information Technology Technical Support Analyst I
May 19, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. (PST) - May 26, 2017 by 5:00 p.m. (PST)
Open Competitive Job Opportunity
Incumbents in this entry level technical support class perform a wide variety of information technology support duties, including hardware and software installation and repair, following established procedures. Incumbents possess the ability to analyze end user problems related to desktop, network and applications, and apply a full range of corrective actions. Incumbents are generally based in a centralized location or may be required to assist end users at field sites. Incumbents possess a basic knowledge of desktop computers and related equipment, a basic knowledge of network technologies and multiple client platforms, and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with customers/users.
Incumbents typically are responsible for installing, servicing and moving computers, printers, servers, networking devices, storage devices and related equipment.
Essential Job Functions
- Installs, configures, maintains and tests computer hardware, software and peripheral equipment following established procedures.
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves routine hardware, software and network connectivity problems.
- Identifies trends in the reported problem calls and recommends improvements.
- Analyzes and makes recommendations regarding user support needs or improving customer satisfaction.
- Prepares routine user or support staff instructions and procedures; may conduct formal and informal end user and support staff technical training and assist in the development of training and orientation materials.
- Participates in hardware and software installation and upgrade projects.
- Assists in defining and recommending appropriate hardware and software configurations and standards to meet customer needs and develops specifications to purchase new hardware, software and other peripheral devices based upon established departmental standards.
- Configures basic software distribution tools.
- Assists in the ordering of licenses for assigned software packages, in consultation with appropriate management or other information technology staff.
- Provides application support to customers.
- Assists in coordinating equipment delivery and change-out, software licensing compliance and inventory/asset control.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
One (1) year of experience installing, configuring, testing, troubleshooting and repairing client computing devices or software, in a centralized Information Technology* organization.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
3 - Moderate: Include standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS INFORMATION:
This examination will consists of two parts:
Part I: An multiple choice test, weighted at 40% assessing the following competencies: Deductive Reasoning, Professional Potential, Achievement, Independence, Influence, Confidence and Optimism and Reliability.
Part II: Two multiple choice tests, weighted at 60% assessing two Technical Knowledge areas.
- Technical Help Desk (Microsoft) covering the following competencies: Hardware, Help Desk Operations, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, Networking and Connectivity, Operating Systems, PC Peripherals, Software and System Security and Maintenance
- Contact Center – Technical Support Agent covering the following competencies: Navigation, Service Orientation, Tactful Problem Solving, Data Entry Speed, Data Entry Accuracy, Professional Potential and Achievement Orientation
Only those candidates who achieve a passing score of 70% or higher in Part I, and a passing score of 70% in Part II will be placed on the eligible register.
TRANSFER OF SCORES:
Applicants that have taken the identical tests for other exams within the last 12 months, will have their test scores for the identical test part(s) automatically transferred to this examination.
This examination contains test parts that may be used in the future for new examinations. Upon acceptance of your online application, your score will be transferred to the new examination and you may not be allowed to re-take any identical test part(s) for at least a year.
APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND MUST ACHIEVE A PASSING SCORE OF 70% OR HIGHER ON THE EXAMINATION IN ORDER TO BE PLACED ON THE ELIGIBLE LIST.
THE TESTS ARE NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19.
For more information, please contact us.