Director of Alumni Relations
Director of Alumni Relations (DAR) leads and manages the overall alumni relations program: Consistent with best practices, develop the overall alumni relations strategy and program direction, in conjunction with the Vice President for University Relations, thereby increasing alumni awareness and understanding of their alma mater and fostering involvement and long-term engagement in both the alumni relations program and the life of the University. The DAR is also responsible for planning and implementing a program of annual giving to the Annual Alumni Fund —with monies raised being used where needed most for campus development, operating support, and scholarship assistance being a priority.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and manage the planning and implementation of alumni events and programs.
- Identify, recruit and engage new alumni volunteer leadership, especially successful and highly effective alumni, creating an increasingly effective and engaged volunteer network in which alumni advance to increasing levels of involvement and leadership.
- Provide effective alumni communications: Coordinating with Marketing and Communications, plan, write, and implement communications with alumni regarding alumni events, programs, activities, and services.
- Ensure an understanding of the university, advancement and alumni relations directions, programs, and activities among alumni in general and specific alumni constituencies in particular.
- Coordinate with University Events, plan the annual schedule of alumni events, receptions, meetings, and activities for the university's varied alumni constituencies.
- Serve as liaison with and provide organizational support to volunteer alumni committees representing various alumni constituencies, effectively representing the university and the advancement program to the alumni boards and alumni leaders.
- Provide strategic and organizational support, in conjunction with the Vice President, for each of the principal alumni constituencies.
- Maintain an active schedule of personal visits with key alumni, especially potential alumni leaders, recruiting alumni for volunteer roles on alumni committees, reunion committees, regional committees, and alumni association boards.
- Manage and administer the alumni relations office: Provide leadership, management, and direction to the alumni relations staff.
- Develop and implement standards of accountability for alumni relations staff.
- Develop and monitor performance goals for the alumni relations staff and provide guidance for staff professional development.
- Administer the ongoing business, activities, and operation of the alumni relations office, ensuring responsiveness to alumni needs and inquiries as well as university and divisional priorities.
- Administer the budgets for the overall alumni relations program.
- Develop a working knowledge of Lee University in general and funding priorities specifically so as to articulate a compelling case for support to all constituents.
- Research and incorporate annual fund “best practices” into Lee University annual giving strategies.
- Develop overall short and long range plans for annual giving, work with advancement team members by setting goals and objectives in line with the annual goals for the institution and manage the budget for all annual giving activities.
- Organize and manage all aspects and segments of annual giving including phone based fundraising teams, direct mail appeals, online giving, and personal visits for annual fund gifts.
- Assisted by the Office of Publications, create a communications plan that positions and promotes giving to the Fund.
- In collaboration with the VP for University Relations and other advancement staff, recruit, oversee and motivate call team members and their activities as they relate to annual giving, and maintain timely communication with those members.
- Manage annual stewardship correspondence with constituents and oversee acknowledgement of Fund gifts as part of the advancement gift receipting and acknowledgement policy.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor.
- Lee Alumnus
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5 to 7 years’ experience in alumni relations at an educational institution or 5 years comparable experience
- 3 years minimum of supervisory and leadership experience
- Have excellent organizational, management, and communication skills
- Manifest an aptitude for interpersonal contact
- Demonstrates computer literacy with thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Have the ability to learn and gain proficiency with university software programs
- Have the ability and willingness to travel and work weekends and nights
- Possess a commitment to the principles and goals expressed in the University’s mission
- Manifest a positive attitude, high energy level, and enthusiasm for working with a team
- Be adaptable, and demonstrate pride in the University
- Manage time well and succeed under pressure